Sunday, June 19, 2011

30 for 30


It’s Monday, June 20th, 2011.  Today is the 60th anniversary of International Refugee Day and my 30th birthday (I believe this is more than just a coincidence).  The United Nations High Commission for Refugees has recognized June 20th as the day to commemorate the courageous people across the world that have been forced to flee their country in fear of persecution for reasons of race, nationality, religion or political affiliation.  Today I will have the opportunity and fortune to celebrate with the refugees and support the ongoing commitment to help them realize their rights.  It should be a birthday unlike any other.   

Just two days ago someone asked me where I thought I would be at 30.  I opened my mouth to say something but realized I didn’t have an exact answer.  In reflection, my mind started to quantify my life and take stock of what I have done, where I have been, lessons I have learned and most importantly relationships I have built.  Even now, I can’t answer the question entirely but I can say that I am so very happy with my life’s journey thus far.  Happy with what I have achieved, people who I have surround myself with, places I have gone, experiences I have had, decisions I have made, risks I have taken and work I have dedicated myself to.  I realize more and more that it’s not so much about where I thought I would be at 30 but the incredible path I have taken to get here.

Over my 30 years on this globe I have come to understand some facts of life, been given some pearls of wisdom, had some epiphanies and discovered some lessons to live by…  
1.     
1.   When you tell someone you forgive them, mean it.  Holding grudges can only lead to more pain.
2.     Grampy Healy holds the title for best Mickey Mouse pancake maker
3.     Being a ‘pretty girl helper’ is the best job to have as a kid
4.     Getting told you throw like a girl is a compliment
5.     Coming in second place in an invention convention two years in a row motivates you to work harder
6.     Making kids run the mile on Friday is not a horrible thing, no matter how much they tell you it is
7.     Being a part of team sports is one of the greatest gifts you can give to a kid
8.     Only the Sheriff can make house calls to Amigo Lane
9.     Don’t buy your 16 year old a Volkswagen
10.  Being able to say your best friends are the same friends you had in grade school is something to be proud of
11.  Karma says you should pay the bridge toll for the stranger in the car behind you every once in a while (Fastrak is not an excuse) 
12.  Always celebrate the little things in life
13.  In a diehard’s book, a fair weather fan is not a fan at all
14.  Work hard, play hard
15.  Send kids to summer camp
16.  Jiff Extra Chunky Peanut Butter.  Enough said.
17.  Learning to ride a bike for the first time without training wheels is one of the single best feelings
18.  Taking five years to graduate from college is not only okay but a wonderful idea
19.  Live by the ocean at least once in your life
20.  Live outside of your native country at least once in your life to see how others do it
21.  Learn a foreign language
22.  Sunscreen not baby oil
23.  Guinness tastes better in Ireland
24.  Spending time alone is good for you
25.  Exercise and floss your teeth every day
26.  No book can teach you more than experience can
27.  Underwear is often overrated  
28.  Everyone loves Betty Cookies. Everyone!
29.  There are few views better than that from the top of Mount Kilimanjaro
30.  Keep a secret.

LOVE ALWAYS!!!!
L

No comments:

Post a Comment